Intimate encounters are a huge part of Fan Fiction; nothing inspires the writer’s imagination like two characters with unresolved feelings for each other. Usually when it comes to a sex scene, coming up with scenarios is easy, but getting it on the page is a little harder, especially if it’s your first time. Along with these tips, you can download a Sex Scene Worksheet to assist with planning out your scene.
Here’s your step by step guide to getting it on, on the page.
1. Who? – It probably didn’t take too much time for you to decide on the characters you are going to feature in your story, but take a few moments to think about who your characters are, how they react to each other and what they have at stake in your story. Understanding your character’s personalities will give your writing an extra edge, and readers will be drawn in by your authentic characterizations of the characters they love.
2. Where?-This is the fun part, so take your time and really think about the atmosphere that you want to create for your characters. Will it be fun and playful, sensual or full of fireworks? A night of lovemaking under the stars or in front of a roaring fire imparts a totally different vibe than in an elevator or against the wall just inside the apartment door. You are writing a fantasy so make sure to put elements into your story that will delight your readers.
3. What Kind of Sex? – When it comes to writing sex, it’s critical that you know what is going to happen between your characters. (This is even more important if you are writing a menage because you will have a lot of body parts to account for.) It will be so much easier to write the scene with fluidity if you know what is going to happen. So take a minute to map things out and decide who is going to do what in your scene. Things you need to consider are the type of sex (against the wall, oral, solo etc.) as well as who is doing what when. If you are planning on getting creative in your scene, make sure you do your homework. For example, if you have no experience with bondage, make sure you read up on it before you try to write it. (And other Fanfic doesn’t count!) Visit amazon.com and find some books on your topic–your writing will flow much better if you have a deep understanding of what you are writing and how it affects your characters.
4. Write a Rough Sketch of Your Scene – Don’t worry about this being bare bones, just get everything down that you want to happen. Forget about word choice, transitions and all that stuff. Just lay it out point by point. This will be the frame on which you will base your story. If it is easier for you, you can even do this as a numbered list. Use the details that you’ve laid out in the previous steps to build this frame. (Looking for more help in this area? 7 Tips for Writing Sex in Fan Fiction has an example of how to do this.)
5. Layer in the Detail – Close your eyes and imagine the scene that you’ve just sketched out playing before your eyes. Sometimes, I’ll even type with my eyes closed so that I can get an accurate description of the scene as it plays out in my mind’s eye. If you get stuck while you are writing, a good practice is to follow is Action, Reaction. So for everything one character does, have the other character react. This will bring intimacy to your scene. And don’t forget to work in drafts. You don’t have to get it all right the first time. Just take your rough sketch, and work on expanding it slowly, as if you are drawing a picture and then coloring it in.
Writing sex can be intimidating but if you take a few minutes to plan out your scene, you’ll find it much easier to get it on the page. Using this step by step approach breaks down the process into manageable chunks, and before you know it, you’ll have your story on the page.